Saturday 18 July 2020

Providence by Max Barry


"All you know is that when the video finally, mercifully stops, you want to kill salamanders, as many as you can"
 The release of a new Max Barry book had me chomping at the bit and this was no exception. I hurried out and preordered a copy. I wasn't disappointed and yet, I didn't love this quite as much as some of his other novels such as Syrup and Jennifer Government. This lacks the black humour of those other works. 
I think that is reflective of the times we live in, where dark humour feels a little hollow. Rather this novel brings a sense of the potential downside of AI mixed with the claustrophobia of deep space and the insidious power of media control.
Who is the villain? Are the aliens the real enemy? What is really going on? Well you will just have to read it I guess. I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

5 out of 5 - beam me up.



No comments:

Post a Comment