Tuesday 6 October 2020

Run River by Joan Didion



“She hoped that although he could not hear her she could somehow imprint her ordinary love upon his memory through all eternity, hoped he would rise thinking of her, we were each other, we were each other, not that it mattered much in the long run but what else mattered as much.”

I was eagerly anticipating getting my teeth into Didion's first novel, as I've really marvelled over some of her other works.It has been a rough few weeks with family things going on, so perhaps I wasn't best placed to launch into a bad relationship story. I've read some rave reviews, and yet this didn't leave much of a mark on me. It starts off so promising with the evaporating Joy perfume and continued down a joyless path that I couldn't connect with.

3 out of 5 not the salve I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment