Sunday 25 August 2019

Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith

"Let me tell you about when I was a girl, our grandfather says."


I really do love Ali Smith's writing and so was interested to explore this particular novella. It was written as part of the Canongate myth series as a re-imagining of the Iphis myth by Ovid. The original tale was of a girl raised as a boy ergo the title.
Twin sisters prove to be very different characters in this tale where they both begin working at the same business.
One is all work and no play, desperately trying to  fit in, the other is ethereal and dreamlike, seemingly at odds with her surrounds. When the rudderless Anthea meets the force behind the mysterious graffiti  artist Iphisol love blooms where it is least expected.

This was interesting but, perhaps because I was rather tired, it didn't quite hit the mark with me.

4 out of 5 bottled waters aren't quite right.

No comments:

Post a Comment