Wednesday 21 August 2019

The Overcoat by Nikolai Gogol


“There exists in St. Petersburg a powerful foe of all who receive a salary of four hundred rubles a year, or thereabouts. This foe is no other than the Northern cold, although it is said to be very healthy”

I love a great, short story and this definitely fits the bill. I found this vaguely wandering around the net looking for a free story that would float my boat. It was on my lunch break and I needed a quick distraction. It is hard to believe that a tiny tale from so long ago can be so compelling.

It reminded me of my younger days when I would almost religiously save up for something that I desired. Foregoing entertainment and delight for a delayed delight and living like a hermit in anticipation. Before the days of credit cards and instant gratification. Unfortunately, like the protagonist, I sometimes found the desired item wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Sometimes the unexpected consequences of visible trappings can be disastrous - especially if the object is misplaced or stolen. Those for whom things of value come easily are unlikely to respect your plight. 




5 out of 5, leave my coat alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment