Monday 5 August 2019

The Wes Anderson Collection by Matt Zoller Seitz

"Everyone, sooner or later, gets a thorough schooling in brokenness".

I love a Wes Anderson film. They seem to personify that sense of otherness that was the running narrative of my childhood. In all their pastel magnificence and minute detail they shine a light on rejection and despair in a way that's both palatable and entertaining. That is a rare skill. Visually they are so recognisable and that is another aspect that really impresses me. When you see a Wes Anderson film it is instantly recognisable - no mean feat!

When this beautiful creation of a coffee table book was released a few years ago I put it on my wish list as a much desired indulgence. When my occasionally awesome ( well I can't be too effusive or he'll wonder who wrote this) man bought it for my birthday I felt unrestrained joy. Then I read it and was shocked to find that my enjoyment increased.

Pass me a pink cocktail, let's put on some dark kohl eyes and ponder the universe together  while a snappy soundtrack plays in the distance. Somewhere an omniscient viewer is peering into tiny little rooms and seeing life in gorgeous detail.

 5 out of 5 - art is love.

No comments:

Post a Comment