Saturday 7 June 2014

Lost for Words by Edward St Aubyn

"It was ironic, in Penny's opinion, that her slavish devotion to the cause of literature was preventing her from writing any more of her own novel."

A new book from Edward St Aubyn that just happened to have won the Wodehouse award, could i resist adding it to my book depository shopping cart? Of course not! So, I have to say this pretty much jumped the queue of my to read list and headed straight to the top. A long weekend with time to read created the perfect storm and voila its finished and herein lies my review.

There were moments that had me laughing out loud, blame my cynicism and incredulity about some shortlisted novels for major  literary prizes these days - that doesn't stop me from buying and reading them - as my credit card statement will no doubt attest to.
The in fighting of the selection committee for the Elysium award are a complicated bunch of combatants pushing their own agendas and dealing with their own personal issues. Practical jokes, love affairs, writer's block and visiting the sewers of Paris, they are a complicated bunch.

There is so much here that is firmly tongue in cheek and its a delight, I was quite disappointed that it ended so quickly. Black humour is certainly the hallmark of St Aubyn's  Patrick Melrose novels, however this new offering seems far less sordid and more jovial.

5 out of 5 lusty literary types love an intrigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment