Monday 22 July 2019

The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin

"He was an unearthly creature, a genius —or so those who weren't inclined to read had been told by those who were."


So I ordered this little number after Annabel Crabb mentioned in on the Chat 10 Looks 3  podcast. I know, my recent obsession with podcasts is really adding to my 'to be read pile'. It's just that when I'm busy at work I put the noise cancelling headphones on and pretend my well-read friends are there. In any case there are a few podcasts that act as substitutes for my real life busy friends.

Back to the book and a respite from deadlines and life dramas. Well actually more like a deep dive into some historical life dramas. Here a bevy of amazing looking women faun over Truman Capote in his heyday. Certainly their lives, while appearing optimal, have some massive drawbacks. Apparently you can be too thin and beautiful - things I don't have to worry too much about - I'm going to beat the winter bulge with a big stick at any moment.

While this was an interesting look back into history, there was just something missing that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Perhaps it had something to do with Truman as a character that betrayed his would be best friends. Perhaps it was the writing. The jury is out.

 4 out of 5 swans end up in the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment