Wednesday 20 May 2020

Defy or Defend (Delightfully Deadly #2) by Gail Carriger


"Dimity was clearly embarrassed to have such an intimate item mentioned at tea, but no one except Cris was listening to their conversation.”

Alas dear reader, in my haste to enjoy the latest instalment of the wondrous Gail Carriger's series of fabulousness, I jumped the gun and bought the e-book rather than a real life book. Because of this ridiculously short-sighted behaviour, my bookshelf is leering at me in disgust as it would love to display the fetching green cover and my literary twin, Nicki, will now forgo a lend of my copy. I feel I should also invest in the actual copy to even out my bookshelf of gloriousness.

Returning to work is not unlike infiltrating an unknown vampire hive and so I was a little distracted from pages 1 to 5. Then lunchtime landed and bam, I was swept away with Dimity's adventures and swooning over the well put together Chris. I don't want to give too much away, however, if you love Ms Carriger's super-duper parasolverse adventures, well do not pass go, do not collect $200, just jolly well jump online and order this terrific treat.

I suspect if this is your first foray into the fantastic steam punk world where a woman can be both beautiful and deadly, but always effective as an intelligencer; then this might not be the best jumping off point. Then again, it might just do fine. Let me suggest a wealth of wonder awaits you as you look into the pure delights of Soulless (the first of the Parasol Protectorate stories) or Etiquette & Espionage the first of the Finishing School series and the amazing tales which follow in their stead. In short you have some fantastic times ahead.

5 out of 5 because life is more fun without a nightie.



No comments:

Post a Comment