Tuesday 1 July 2014

Look who's back by Timur Vermes

"It is a popular misconception that a Führer needs to know everything"

Adolph Hitler wakes up Rip Van Winkle style in 2011, cue political satire. It is a concept ripe with comic promise, and yet it leaves a rather nasty taste in one's mouth. There's something quite icky about almost feeling sorry for one of history's horrific characters. 
The tongue in cheek jokes wear thin after a while. Hitler, becomes a TV show celebutard through you tube exposure, It is black humour all the way, but I can't help feeling something got lost in translation from the German, as I was pretty much unimpressed.
There was the odd titter here and there, but not enough to keep me engaged for the entire novel.

I read this in time for its appearance on the First Tuesday Book Club tonight - it will be interesting to hear what their reviewers have to say. I wonder if they will be more effusive? I doubt it. There's still something, all a bit too soon about this.

3 out of 5 - let's not talk about the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment