Monday 25 May 2015

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent



“It seems a lifetime ago that I spoke freely at all”

Kent conjures up a cold, claustrophobic, state where death lurks and the reader is slowly drawn into a mysterious story of love, lust, violence and punishment. Quaint village life ruled by religious stricture draws a curtain over human passions and the truth.

Locally this tale has taken out a number of prizes and was shortlisted for the Bailey’s Women’s Prize for Fiction in 2014. I have the lovely Nicki to thank for lending me a copy. Thanks again Nicki, I'm sure there will be another care package of books back to you soon.

While I admire aspects of the story, something just grated with me. Perhaps a longing for warmer climbs or more positive circumstances in a world full of constant woe ( well on the television at any rate). Still, it certainly is worth a read and  made for a perfect companion on a train trip.


4 out of 5 remote villages are deadly places… midsommer anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment