Friday 21 February 2020

A Keeper by Graham Norton

"Patricia knew she was being silly but over the next couple of days the fantasy of her wonderful boyfriend took shape."


From memory this was a book I gifted to my awesome friend in the not so unselfish hope that she would lend it back. The woman, the legend, Nicki, certainly did. 
Elizabeth Keane is returning from her home of many years of New York to the Ireland of her birth. The death of her mother means dealing with all the accumulated junk of a lifetime and uncovering a few family truths to boot. 
I disagree wholeheartedly with the Irish Times review that pretty much rubbished this beautifully written novel. While there are some crazy characters involved and the book wasn’t exactly what I expected, I really enjoyed the twists and turns it provided. I finished the entire novel in a day such was my preoccupation with digging up Elizabeth’s past.
I felt this was much darker in tone than Norton’s previous novel and I possibly preferred the first one a little more. It seems this is a man with many talents – not only the best talk show host around but also a fantastic weaver of tales on the page.
5 out of 5 - my love for Norton is beyond measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment