Friday 14 February 2020

Tomorrow When the War Began by John Marsden

"It still hadn't occurred to me that there was anything strange about dozens of aircraft flying fast and low at night without lights."


I know most kids of my vintage read this teen classic during their school years but somehow, I had to wait until over 40. Seeing as I'm a kid at heart and will always be so, it wasn't such a problem. 

Not having seen the recent movie adaptation I can't speak to its accuracy or anything and yet I feel this story would make a much better Netflix series, especially since I believe it is the first of a series. I would totally watch it in any case! Five minutes after writing these words I've googled and discovered a series exists and features the always brilliant Deborah Mailman, guess I will have to check that out.

One-minute Ellie is just a typical girl going to high school in the country town of Wirrawee. Away camping with her friends in the bush, Ellie and crew are startled to discover their peaceful Australian town has been invaded by forces unknown and their parents are missing.

This is a coming of age story through war which makes for a pressurised environment. The pacing is fantastic, and the sense of impending doom had me flicking pages at an alarming rate. Rather than pure action, the combination of character development and set pieces of action is deftly handled and is just as appealing to a teen as an adult reader. This is action with heart and that makes for a compelling combination.



5 out of 5 things that go boom + a heart that goes boom badda boom.

No comments:

Post a Comment