Friday 19 June 2020

The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami




"I remember with perfect clarity that first night I lost the ability to sleep."

George Burns apparently said "Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city."and I think that quote is relevant because in these COVID-crazy times, I decided to pick a book of short stories to read and discuss with my mother. When I lived in another city, I could do no wrong, now that I've returned to the same city... I can do no right. My choice of book in this instance was probably short sighted. For, as much I love Murakami, his style is probably not my mother's cup of tea (and boy does she love a cuppa). Consequently I finished and loved the book and she is totally M.I.A.

My appreciation of this collection of seventeen short stories varies in intensity from deep love to just enjoyment.So let's just take a look at some of the stories that floated my boat:

The Wind-up Bird and Tuesday's Women

I loved this moody, dreamlike story of a missing cat and a man who seems to be missing something of a life. It is a mystery that is never quite solved but enjoyable, like a good meal that leaves a delightful aftertaste.

The Second Bakery Attack

Late night cravings can turn criminal. This one left me a little conflicted, maybe its just because I don't eat bread or McDonalds.

On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning

Possibly the most beautiful, dreamlike, romantic tale I’ve read. Its efficiency of text is amazing and its denouement completely unexpected.

Sleep

Get some rest.I mean, seriously.

Lederhosen

I loved the symbolism of a random man filling the pants of the woman’s husband. Yet again a deftly spun short story with

Barn Burning

The basis for the movie Burning, which I absolutely loved. Its hard to believe that a movie of more than 2.5 hours in length could be born of such a tiny story. Id say inspired by would be more appropriate as the film builds an entire world from some limited conceits. The mystery that Murakami posits in this strange and enticing tale is a jumping off point for the film which suggests the boyfriend is a serial killer by implication and in relation to the girl’s disappearance. The rich fop mindlessly compelled to  burn old barns that aren’t his exudes entitlement and a strange kind of obsession. Murakami’s story is dreamlike and a puzzle to be savoured. One of the rare times where I preferred the film!

A Window

A sad tale about the transitory nature of life.


So I think that serves as a little taster. Now grab yourself a copy and get back to me with your thoughts.

5 out of 5 adventures occur when you're chasing cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment