Saturday 18 July 2020

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink


"It wasn't that I forgot Hanna. But at a certain point the memory of her stopped accompanying me wherever I went."

It has been quite a few years since Kate Winslet took out the Academy Award for her performance in the movie adaptation of this novel. I've managed not to read the book until now and this was one of those instances where my perceptions were very much coloured by the movie and I think I preferred the film. That rarely happens, but in this instance, I think perhaps it stems from the fact that the novel is a rather slim volume where much is up for interpretation and perhaps the movie instils more room for contemplation through its choices. Kate Winslet's performance gave so much more depth to her character, whereas in the book she is both an object of desire and then a figure to be judged and I think the movie was kinder in this regard from memory ( I watched it a long time ago).





The narrator's voice had a maturity that the movie version lacked in my mind.The central tenant that stems across both iterations is the power of literacy and the corrupting power of war, both interesting notions taken to the extreme.

4 out of 5, how do you reconcile your emotions when you loved a monster?

No comments:

Post a Comment