Saturday 18 July 2020

To Catch a Thief by David Dodge


"Good muscular control had always been his most valuable asset."

As part of my mission to read the source materials for Hitchcock films ( of which I'm a huge fan), I've been searching for a copy of this book for quite a few years. Thank goodness for Kobo! So it took me a little longer to read than it would in paperback, since I was reading it on my phone at lunchtimes, but it was certainly worth it.

I think perhaps the best mark of a good adaptation is when there is a clear connection between the tone of the book and the subsequent film and this one certainly has that.
While it is quasi impossible to extract from my brain the images of the cast of the movie - the ever suave Cary Grant, the luminous Grace Kelly and the cheeky Brigitte Auber (Danielle), that did nothing to detract from my love of both iterations.

Definitely an enjoyable romp of a novel.

5 out of 5 diamonds are a girl's best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment