Sunday 15 November 2020

The Yield by Tara June Winch

 

“The ancestors taught me all the things I wasn’t taught at the Boys’ Home:  they taught me men’s business they taught me where to find food, the names and uses of all the plants and animals”

I'm afraid I've been so busy that my blogging has really taken a backseat to life, family dramas and work deadlines. I finished reading this fantastic novel way back in August and I can hardly believe its already November. My memory might be a little fuzzy and yet I recall this was a rather intriguing read and well deserving of its Miles Franklin Award.

The multiple story lines drift in and out much like a song connecting the generations. August's story is the one that drew me in the most, possibly as it is set in the present. Her homecoming for her grandfather's funeral will dredge up feelings long buried and uncover the secrets of Prosperous. Meanwhile, you'll be swept up in the history of a place and its people, that will have you rapidly turning pages.

5 out of 5 family histories are always complicated.


No comments:

Post a Comment