Friday 26 February 2021

Dead Man Switch(Book #1 A Billie Walker Mystery) by Tara Moss

 


“It wasn't a fancy space. It didn't need to be. Clients didn't come to her for interior decorating tips.”


I was torn on this one initially. Getting into the novel took a little time because I was distracted by the length of prose dedicated to dresses and earrings. Another aspect that jarred was the overtly film noir stereotypes. I'm a big fan of Tara Moss and think she's an excellent human from what I've seen of her, so my expectations were very high.

The mystery of the novel certainly dragged me in once I got over my initial concerns. I love noir, I love a mystery, this should have totally won me over. Part of its charm was the Australian setting which I found endearing at times, and jarring at others. Whenever any character said or did something that seemed quintessentially noir, but not particularly local to Australia; I was taken out of the tale.

Ultimately, I enjoyed this trip back in time and while my praise seems less than effusive, that perhaps links closely to the expectations I had. Confusingly there are two versions of the title and I stupidly bought the paperback and the kindle, such was my enthusiasm for the premise. This broken reader who has avoided dating since breaking up with Voldermort wanted some romance for the protagonist. At least one of us should be having more excitement in that area.

Perhaps that was what was lacking and maybe that will be developed as the series progresses. Reading about another workaholic is not the escapism I need right now. Putting that aside, the novel certainly held my attention and the tale was interesting.


4 out of 5 Sydney, back in the day, also had some seedy characters

No comments:

Post a Comment