Thursday 27 March 2014

All That Is by James Salter


What the joys of music were to others, words on a page were to him.”

I have been looking longingly at my 'to-read' pile, anxiously anticipating the moment when I could tear open the pages of Mr Salter's latest work.  A Sport and a Pastime  is one of my favourite novels of late and prompted my digits to feverishly hit the keyboard and order this latest novel on line.

His prose is beautiful as always, and yet I felt a little lost with the narrative here. Certainly, he continues to deliver the sexiest bedrooms scenes in literature and I think of him somewhat as a kind of contemporary Hemingway bursting with pure masculinity.

Perhaps my reticence to award top marks, in my estimation, stems from the storyline and the futile relationships we , as a reader, are party to. An old man carrying on with his ex girlfriend's daughter - I think that was the point when I kind of flinched at circumstances that seemed sad and cliched.

The ending comes about quite abruptly, leaving me still wanting more and finally able to go to sleep.




4 out of 5 ex navy officers are popular with the girls

No comments:

Post a Comment