Monday 15 June 2015

Not My Father’s Son by Alan Cumming

"Who knew it would take the Eurovision Song Contest to make me level, to balance the week I had endured, to allow me to revivify my spirit and feel I could take on whatever demons were soon destined to cross my path?"

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this beautiful book for Christmas from the lovely Nicki - great pick Nicki!! Alan Cumming is always a mesmerising presence on screen and he apparently also dazzles on the page. This is such a rich and painfully personal story, yet told with honesty and flair. How could I not love a book where Eurovision heals all ills?

It is part mystery, part coming of age and all heart. Most of all it demonstrates that families can be the source of both heartache and joy.

I devoured this book in an hour and loved it so much I could easily revisit it again. I also just want to hug Alan and his brother and his mum.

The competing stories of Alan's youth and his historical research into his grandfather's death in Malaysia mix effortlessly in a compelling and interesting way that certainly makes this an easy read.


5 out of 5 because you can't choose your relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment