Wednesday 18 July 2018

Put Out More Flags by Evelyn Waugh


“He was used, in his own life, to a system of push, appeasement, agitation and blackmail, which, except that it had no more distinct aim than his own immediate amusement, ran parallel to Nazi diplomacy.”


Apologies darling, perhaps if life hadn’t been such a whirlpool of events and emotions of late, I would have given this novel the compliment of a five-star review.
Certainly, this is written with the vim and vigour of Waugh's other works and yet I just couldn't get on board.

I've since read a few reviews claiming this to be one of Waugh's forgotten masterpieces and it gave me pause. Perhaps I need to re-read, preferably on a warm beach when my view of the world is far more buoyant than wintery, overworked wench mode that I'm currently ensconced in.

4 out of 5 - moments that I really enjoyed, but not enough to distract me from life.



No comments:

Post a Comment