Friday 14 September 2018

Noir by Christopher Moore

"I watched the Cheese step off the streetcar and look back over he shoulder, eyes hooded, like she was ashamed, and I felt as if I just threw a rock and busted out the streetlight that was the only light in my miserable life."


I am a keen fan of the Noir Genre and the comic talent of Mr Moore, so I was eagerly anticipating the release of this novel. So you can imagine my disappointment when I was just a little underwhelmed. I've given the matter some serious consideration and come to the conclusion that the style just seems to jar with Moore's humour a little. Part of the gumshoe style of the noir genre is its over the top tone and for me that jarred with Moore's style.

I wonder whether this was just a case of high levels of anticipation leading to disappointment. Sure there are some amusing notions, I just wanted something a little different and to be honest I can't put my finger on it. Certainly the snake was engaging and what's not to like about a dodgy visit to Bohemian grove?

Maybe I just wasn't in the frame of mind to be concerned with a skirt called the Cheese? Perhaps it stemmed from the annoying invisibility treatment I had to endure in Hong Kong from wait and hotel staff. Who knows?

I absolutely do love the cover though and I'm still a fan of Moore, I think I prefer his more supernatural efforts and perhaps that's due solely to my personal taste.

3 out of 5 deadly snakes should be safely stowed.










No comments:

Post a Comment