Sunday 22 March 2020

Skios by Michael Frayn

"She plainly wanted him to be Dr Wilfred, he could see."

Reading this, I had a rather strange experience. I'd pictured, from my reading adventures, exactly what this place looked like because to me, the author had vividly rendered the island and resort. Randomly looking for holiday destinations, back when that was a possibility, I chanced on a picture which seemed exactly what I'd imagined while reading. Needless to say the actual place was Skiathos in Greece and I have a distinct feeling that's what this invented island was based upon.

If you are seeking a bit of sun-soaked escapism, then this book is just what the doctor ordered. I loved the ideas of mistaken identities and Sliding Doors style life changes. The characters are imperfect, real and engaging. Combine the mistaken identities with unexpected social connections and you get something on the level of Shakespearean comedy. 

5 out of 5 - imagine yourself on a Greek island.

No comments:

Post a Comment