Thursday 2 April 2020

Crosstalk by Connie Willis



“But something had woken her. As before, she had the distinct feeling that she’d heard a voice. Trent would definitely be out of the anaesthesia by now. Had he reached out to her?”

498 pages of brilliance have been sitting on my ‘to be read’ pile for way too long and I have no idea why. I read this in a day, well actually, in just a few hours, having forgone tv for some quality reading time. Have you ever wondered what your partner is thinking or feeling? If you had the chance to have some ‘minor’ surgery to open up your neural pathways, would you do it?
Briddey and her boyfriend Trent work at a smartphone company and are taking the big step of having EDD implants. Now their love will be enhanced by just a small operation for a true meeting of the minds, where emotions do not require words for communication. What could possibly go wrong? Isn’t she just replacing her busy-body family with an even closer interloper? Would she get her family off her back if she settled down with a nice Irishman? Isn’t her boyfriend just way too busy with the apple iPhone busting mysterious ‘Hermes Project’?
When Briddey wakes up post-surgery she has seeming got more than she bargained for. Apparently, she can have entire conversations mentally, but not with her beloved. Another man is in her head and things are about to get really complicated. 
Honestly, I can’t think of any man I’ve ever dated that I’d want to know what’s going on exactly in my head. Protestations of love met with uncertainty, words of encouragement on performance masking internal disappointment and the like. It sounds like a horrible idea to me. Mind you, I’ve yet to crack the Prince Charming lotto.
When Briddey’s powers grow the volume gets louder and the author delightfully weaves in some fantastic moments highlighting the magic of a library. The book is funny, easy to read and the characters are just amazingly rendered mostly through dialogue. I can’t wait to lend this to my friend Nicki, as I think this combines modern sci-fi, romance and comedy in a fabulous way and was one thousand times better than a night in front of the television.

5 out of 5 – I’m not a mind-reader okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment