Thursday 30 April 2020

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler

"What with his hooting and the banana he held, he reminded her of a chimpanzee."

Goodness me, I've forgotten to finish another review. I was particularly looking forward to this one because its by an acclaimed author that I've enjoyed before and its a re-telling of my favourite dead playwright, Mr Shakespeare. This is part of a series that has proved to be a little bit of mixed bag for me. I have a number in my to be read pile and the re-telling of Macbeth is an absolute tome - makes a great podium for the laptop in zoom meetings - that kind of thing.
This particular novel in the Hogarth series is The Taming of the Shrew retold in a modern setting. Not one of my favourite Shakespearean tales, calling a woman who dances to the beat of her own drum a "shrew" isn't fantastic in my opinion. That is perhaps why I so disliked this book.
I found it tiresome that this girl who works tirelessly for her father is shamed into marriage in modern times. Here marry this bloke for a green card because no-one thinks anyone will have you. That's just frightful.
Her sister is so revolting, that she made my skin crawl. The would be husband seems really off and disturbing - a stalker, control freak.

No I did not like this book.

1 out of 5 - Not a premise I could work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment