Sunday 29 November 2015

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri



“Again she had lied about what had brought her to Rome.”

A collection of short stories that is a delight to discover. I must be one of the few people who haven't read The Namesake, and I confess I shall have to seek it out now.
Lahiri crafts such human tales full of feeling and emotions that seem so real and uncensored. My reason for seeking this particular work out was its inclusion on a top ten love stories list   - i've only got 1 left to read out of the ten.

While the protagonists share a Bengali heritage, their stories are universal. Who can't relate to revisiting the big love from their teens and perhaps not disclosing their feelings at the time to their current partner? These short stories are exquisitely realised and I certainly devoured them with relish.


5 out of 5 good things come in little packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment