Wednesday 22 August 2018

Competence by Gail Carriger

“Primrose suspected that she was the only one to notice that there appeared to be an enthusiastically moving bulge in the back section of the fishtail.”


Dearest reader, I have been counting down the days with reckless abandon until my freshly minted copy of Ms Carriger’s latest tome graced my mailbox. “Hurrah” I shouted with glee at the sight of the familiar trimmings of a Book Depository delivery (they don’t pay me to advertise, I’m just an avid fan, particularly in my most stressed hours).
In any case, it wasn’t long before I was completely ensconced in the adventures of Prim, Rue and co and the frisson begins immediately. It had been such a time since I enjoyed the company of the crew of the Spotted Custard, that I had quite forgotten where they had landed last. Never mind, it took minutes to be back in the world of dastardly parasols, proper hats and cups of tea.
The action in Singapore is a delight – particularly if you’ve been there before. The central theme of the novel seems to be mistaken appearances, beginning with Tasherit, the werelioness, being mistaken for a Merlion, the official mascot of Singapore.
When not being mistaken for other mystical creatures ***Spoilers ahead ***, Tasherit’s longing for Prim, is anything but Prim and may lead to some unexpected outcomes, all of them tinged with delight.
Our fearless crew also veer way off into uncharted territories in South America to find a lost tribe of Vampires and save them. Their tastes differ vastly from the hives at home. Lard anyone?
Will our fearless adventurers survive the lengthy journey? Will there be intrigue and romance? Will there be battles? Will your reviewer cry (come on you know I will)? I don’t think it is too much of a spoiler to say an emphatic Yes, Yes and Yes. Oooh I just can’t wait for the next one and now…. The waiting game begins until the next delicious instalment. 


5 out of 5 pale vampires make the best dieticians.

No comments:

Post a Comment