Sunday 25 November 2018

Serpentine (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #26) by Laurell K. Hamilton



“It was as if his human body was turning into a mass of serpents”.


The latest Anita Blake was released in August of this year and yet again, I’ve fallen victim to its siren’s call of weird sex, magic and violence. The novel is indicative of a proven combination that the author has been pounding out with amazing regularity for many years now. Is it formulaic, certainly, but it still has its charms.

Edward (Ted) is getting married and Anita will be the best man. Not only that, all your favourite marshals will converge for the island wedding. I mean who doesn’t love the creepy psychopathy of Olaf – such a spooky, demented character. Naturally, there’s more going on in this idyllic island paradise than just nuptials. A strange curse sees one particular family shift into snakes – think Medusa.

Now young women are disappearing, is it Olaf, what’s the go with Peter, why is the local constabulary blaming Nathaniel and what about the snake people? All will be revealed in what I have to say is a far more plot driven outing than the previous book. Here we have action and suspense, along with a lot of the best characters back in play.

Rather than just being about taking on some other new supernatural bed partner, this one is more about consolidating her ties with her already overcrowded schedule of paramours and solving a mystery before anyone else meets a horrific end.

So why have I given this a 5 – well it seemed great when I couldn’t sleep during the wee hours of the morning and I was entertained. Sure, I knew what I was getting into when Anita was busting out of bridesmaid’s dresses, but I’m used to it. Actually, that could me in a change room these days – why are clothes made for boy like figures?

Yes, there are troubling aspects to Anita’s relationships. Nathaniel might be hot, but man is he needy. I can’t handle him anymore – unless he’s sniffing out clues in wereleopard form and even then, he whinges about sore feet. Notwithstanding, this one got me through the cold, lonely night.

 

 5 out of 5 because shapeshifting strippers are a girl’s best friend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment