Sunday 25 August 2019

Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones


“A fickle heart is the only constant in this world”


I absolutely love the Mizayaki film of the same name and was curious to dive into the source book when I heard it existed. It has been sitting in my to be read tower for a while now - I say tower, because dear reader, things are getting out of control. Sophie is the eldest of three sisters left with their father's hat shop. The three are sent off in different directions to seek their fortunes and Sophie finds herself put under a spell and transformed into an old lady.
Seeking out the young, reclusive wizard Howl, Sophie's adventures really begin. Throw in some witches, some scarecrows, a fire demon, a mysterious castle that moves and has an odd teleportational door and you have fantasy gold.

While it may be written for children, I defy anyone of any age not to enjoy this delight. Just like a box of Jaffas where you eat one and then can't stop, I was drawn into with abandon. I can hardly wait to read the sequel, although I'm going to have to demolish a bit more of my to be read pile before that happens sadly.


5 out of 5 beauty personified.

5 out of 5 people aren’t what they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment