Tuesday 20 August 2013

Crome Yellow by Aldous Huxley

 

"A novelist could have made his fortune out of them, and even if I were to tell you, in my bald style, the details of  these adventures, you would be amazed at the romantic tale."

There are so many unknowns in life, so many unexpected events, some delightful, some devastating, others mostly quotidian. I greedily partake of the pleasant events and this week, discovering this little gem certainly tugged at my heartstrings.
 
Having only previously encountered Huxley via Brave New World  this much earlier work was a complete surprise to me. Reminiscent of Waugh, and crazy young things in a country house, but peppered with such insightful and delicious moments. Seriously, you could eat this book up with a spoon.
 
What particularly stands out is that Huxley wrote this novel in his early twenties and yet possessed such clear insight into the dynamics of his world. There's an almost jaded remove that allows for that clarity of view. Denis' silent sufferings, Anne's ability to dispose potential suitors unlikely to bear fruit, these characters display traits which are just as true today as in the twenties when they were created. Did I forget to mention that its hilarious? I think I will definitely be digging into the rest of his back catalogue!


 5 out of 5 everybody loves a house party.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment