Monday 26 August 2013

The Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson

"On the contrary, financial history is a roller-coaster ride of ups and downs, bubbles and busts, manias and panics, shocks and crashes."


Niall Ferguson's brief financial history of the world makes for compelling reading, something which I found a pleasant surprise. In general the prospect of diving into a non-fiction treatise of the economic persuasion would fill me with dread, however I was prompted to check this out due to its inclusion in the Independent's 10 best history books. You know how I loves me a list.

Looking at the origins of the current financial debacles through the prism of the past was no only educational and at times scary, it was also entertaining. Don't think too hard about how crazy it is that no-one learns from history and you'll enjoy it even more ;)

 5 out of 5, its all about the Benjamins

No comments:

Post a Comment