Wednesday 11 December 2019

A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers #2) by Becky Chambers


"Sidra knew dancing wouldn't feel the same to her as it did to others. But maybe...maybe she could at least look good."


When I finished the first novel in the series, I was super keen to start the sequel. What I didn't expect was such a shift in style and narration. I didn't find this as immediately engaging and easy to read as The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and yet I've had a few weeks to reflect on the second novel and my feelings have shifted.

While the duelling chapters can feel a little heavy at times, there are moments of pure brilliance, asking universal questions. What does it mean to be sentient? When does artificial intelligence cease to be artificial? what kind of imposter syndrome would an A.I. feel within a body?

All really interesting questions aren't they? Perhaps I was a little distracted by busy times at work and that nullified my enjoyment to some degree. Nevertheless, I'm keen to get started on the next one and drift on into outer space - beats dealing with this horrific air quality.


4 out of 5 bodies are strange pieces of kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment