Tuesday 17 December 2019

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King

"I washed motel sheets and kept writing one-reel horror movies"

I happen to think The Shining is possibly the best horror novel I've ever read. While I might not love everything Stephen King has delivered in his prolific career, there's no denying, when he is on fire, no-one can top him. He creeps around the corner of the everyday to the lingering menace that hides just under the surface. You are always one unexpected breeze or sound away from sheer terror. Almost implausibly, with that air of menace, he delivers emotionally, fully fledged character's whose lives, feelings and aspirations are easy to recognise in our own.

So many people have recommended this book and it has really taken me an age to read it. That's on me and I regret not diving in sooner. Perhaps what I found most intriguing was the fleshing out of all those inner worries that plague us as writers made real by someone recognised as a master of the craft.

I'm not getting any younger - and possibly watching a TV show at the moment about Elizabeth Taylor's cause of death is making me a little sentimental. In any case 2020 is going to have to be that year where I write about more than just other people's work. I've certainly read a lot and have a good base to work from. I've lived a bit too and if this book is anything to go by, I think you need to do both to be a successful writer. 

Did I mention there is an extensive list of books to read at the end? You know how I love a list.

5 out of 5 times this young Paduan listens to her Master.

No comments:

Post a Comment