Tuesday 17 December 2019

The Centauri Device by M.John Harrison


"The narcotics police are getting ready to close Chalice Veronica's import operation."

You have to love a novel where the protagonist's name is Truck. This Science-fiction classic is big on action in a kind of Michael Bay meets film noir, meets cyber punk kind of way. If that sounds a little crazy then you are on the right page. There is a frenetic energy which kept me awake on the thirty minute flight from Canberra, when I really just wanted to shut my eyes and snooze for a bit.

It was particularly interesting to me that a novel written before I was born ( not that far before but nevertheless before) posited a weapon based on genetics. The eponymous Centauri Device.

The novel is an explosion on so many levels, both figuratively and literally.

4 out of 5 - things go BOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment