Friday 3 January 2020

Good Muslim Boy by Osamah Sami

"Sisi was of Lebanese heritage, and her dad was of the view that Iraqis were the nucleus of all the Middle East's problems."

Another top pick from the library of Nicki - she does send me some excellent reads. This was funny, moving and beautifully written. From the traumas of the Iran-Iraq war to emigrating to Australia and a visit back Sami's novel is a real page turner and you're constantly rooting for him to succeed. 
One thing it does show is that although some differences are cultural and seem really divisive, underneath it all we're all human. We all were teenagers trying to get away with things, we all become adults dealing with ageing parents and we all want love.

I could perhaps discuss more plot wise and yet I feel this is a book best experienced without spoilers - so dive in and enjoy.


 5 out of 5 - I had Usher stuck in my head after this.

No comments:

Post a Comment