Friday 9 January 2015

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

"I don't know what  I expected, but I expected something"

Another hard fought tick of the 1001 books to read list down for the year and this one proved an initially difficult read. Engagement with the convoluted plot and diverse characters was particularly challenging, right up until the final few chapters.

Strangely enough, it was the ending which completely drew me in and made me re-evaluate my initially negative response to the text. The books is quite postmodern, a book within a book, challenging the divisions between the real and imagined.

It is the story of 15 year old Alma Singer that drew me in, one of a number of tales that appear completely independent save for their interaction with the book The History of Love. The mystery that surrounds the book and its authorship almost make it another character in of itself.

4 out of 5 books are full of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment