Friday 31 July 2015

The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon


“D'ye ken that the only time I am without pain is in your bed, Sassenach? When I take ye, when I lie in your arms-my wounds are healed, then, my scars forgotten.”

As we open on the 5th gigantically sized tome that is The Fiery Cross,  we find that hunk with a kilt Jamie, his handy wife Claire, their Daughter Brianna, her soon to be hubby, Roger and baby, Jemmy are firmly ensconced in Fraser’s Ridge, North Carolina.
I flew through this one, namely due to the absence of my favourite Jamie Fraser look alike. The literary one kept me company through the long, hard, cold, lonely winter nights. Thank goodness for that kilted wonder and for short term absences. But I digress, what’s new I hear you say?

This is an expansive tale that incorporates a number of plot trails that meander at a relaxed pace which makes for a comfortable read. As the ending drew near, I confess to skimming a little, mainly because my friend Nicki was reading it at the same time and my competitive urge kicked in.

The family tree is getting more and more convoluted and I confess to often wondering who some of the minor characters are. This is possibly hampered by the lengthy break I’ve taken between novels. Random House have a helpful family tree online http://content.randomhouse.com/assets/9780440246442/view.php?id=ohb001 – thank you Wikipedia and Random House.

So now it appears I have only 3 more books in the series left to read. I dare say I might space them out- it is difficult to get around with an absolute brick in your handbag. Mind you, I’m dying to see what happens next and there is a distinct satisfaction in completing something so hefty. I’m feeling some definite bad Salem vibes on the horizon, time travel and witch craft might not be just the thing for these times.

5 out of 5 draughty kilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment