Saturday 2 January 2021

Alfie by Bill Naughton

 

“I mean the only experience that doesn’t do you any good is the one you learn nothing from.” 

Alfie is a grubbie, sexist pig that epitomises everything that is wrong with the notion of a harmless lothario. In a time before birth control was readily available, he carelessly wanders about stringing women along to get his leg over, while seeming like a complete narcissistic wanker.
Yep, can you tell I hated this book? Without the gleam of a young Michael Caine or a young Jude Law, his wretched personality takes centre stage. Is it well written. I guess so because it made me angry and disgusted at his self entitlement. Alfie is the ultimate tinder f**k boi, before that was even a thing. His pathetic nature is grotesque, reminding  me of a certain uncle who shall remain nameless. He is never as clever as he thinks he is and ultimately gives up any chance at a life with his son through his own deluded self-interest.

While he gloats about his sexual adventures "I believe that for any self-respecting geezer, he needs three birds on the go at any one time", his life is ultimately empty and meaningless. I'd love to see a sequel where his hair falls out and his options run dry. You'll note my score is low because I just hate this character so damn much.

2 out of 5, a hideous character study well wrought.


No comments:

Post a Comment