Sunday 3 January 2021

The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey #4)

 


"I have a peculiar instinct about pubs. I can find one blindfold in a pea-souper with both hands tied behind me.”

I've been reading this on my phone when I've not had a book to hand for what seems like a century. I'm not sure whether the medium contributed to the lack of pace, but this one really dragged for me. That's not to say it isn't full of some rather amusing quips - one would expect nothing less from the author, and yet I recall enjoying her 'Whose Body' mystery a lot more.

A member of the exclusive Bellona Club is found dead and who else but Lord Peter Wimsey could possibly be on the case? As pompous as ever, our protagonist sniffs out the death as murder rather than natural causes and voila, the game is afoot. I just wish he reached his conclusions at a greater pace.

3 out of 5 - oh do stop being clever and get to the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment