Tuesday 5 January 2021

Life in Pieces by Dawn O'Porter

 

"I am determined to be an embarrassing mother. I have a fantasy in my head of going into the boys' room when they are about fourteen and sixteen and explaining to them how they must be with girls and saying some unthinkable things that mothers probably shouldn't say."


Dawn O'Porter is adorable, her writing is just so honest and delightful. This collection of musings from time in lock down will resonate with a lot of people stuck at home for the second or third time. What a year it was, not only a pandemic but also losing one of her best friends to suicide, it can't have been easy, as her book describes. There is something so reassuring when someone is so unguarded in their writing, it really speaks to the weirdness that we're all going through at the moment.
The quote I've elected above was particularly meaningful because I know that were I to have male offspring I'd feel exactly the same, weighed down by the responsibility of bringing up a better generation of men with a greater respect for women when the world around us consistently seeks to erode those notions.
Dawn is real, vulnerable, imperfect and, by encompassing all those things in her writing, she is phenomenal!

 4 out of 5  - I'd totally want to hang out with Dawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment