Sunday 3 January 2021

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

 

"Within the space of a slow blink she saw her father's ghost, in her mind's eye, staring at his stopwatch as if he  was waiting for her to reach him."


So this was my latest bookclub read and it was one of the best things to occur in 2020. Literally the most life-affirming book I've ever read. It is gorgeous and I just love the way Haig deals with a sliding doors scenario through the premise of a library and books as potential lives lived. 

You will cry, you will want to give this book a big bear hug it is so good. I think the notion of changing our mistakes and reliving life changing incidents is one that has universal appeal. I love the world creation and the way it operates, Haig showed similar brilliance in his other novel How to Stop Time  which was almost as enjoyable, but not quite.

5 out of 5 - second best thing to come out of 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment