Thursday 7 January 2021

Death of a Typographer by Nick Gadd

"The signage, the menus, even the bloody toilet doors are in a terrible font called Impact. I felt like people were yelling at me from all sides. It gave me a migraine."


When I saw this on my book bestie's currently reading status on Goodreads,  I knew I had to borrow it. Gadd had me at the title alone and when I got to the bit about the sensitivity to ugly fonts I was all in!
Martin Kern - oh come on, even the names are gold - uses his typographic knowledge to solve crimes, but can he solve the infamous mystery of Pieter van Floogstraten?
While the blurb essentially gives away most of the story, don't be dissuaded, this is a truly novel approach to the noir potboiler that pays off. Destined to appeal to graphic designers and those that deal with font emergencies on a regular basis. One of my pet peeves with Blogger is the lack of interesting font choices, however that's not such a problem in the real world with indesign.
The description of a modern office covered in Helvetica made me giggle.
Doesn't pack quite the punch I was hoping for in the end, but enjoyable nonetheless.

 4 out of 5, this might just be your type.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment