Sunday 10 January 2021

Dubliners by James Joyce

 

"Well...! That takes the biscuit!"

Hurrah, ladies and gentlemen... I've finished reading my first novel for 2021 and a classic to boot! Ignore the gorgeous pulp themed cover ( it is gorgeous isn't it?). This novel dates all the way back to 1914. A collection of short stories that reads as if you're walking down the streets of Dublin of that time and seeing little vignettes of life. It is almost akin to jumping into the Tardis and then just watching what people get up to.
Much like life offers up flickering images that quickly flee, I didn't retain any of the stories. Rather, I finished this novel feeling like I'd been transported to a place and now only possessed vague recollections.
Looking for further confirmation of my feelings about the book, it was interesting to see it described as
"studies in stark realism", which is exactly how I felt about it. Now if you feel like exploring the book without shelling out for the fancy paperback, you can grab yourself an e-pub at Project Gutenberg.



4 out of 5 - take a walk around Dublin... I aim to some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment