Saturday 7 September 2019

Just a Girl by Jane Caro

"Any flicker of pity of Thomas Seymour was enough to condemn us all."

I was fairly unfamiliar with Jane Caro's works of fiction, although a big fan of her work on the Gruen Transfer - c'mon you all know of my undying love for Wil Anderson which has seen me be an absolute stalker of a Melbourne Comedy Festival Fan when I lived south of the border. These days I just listen to his podcast, but boy I should have been paying more attention to the absolute feminist icon which is Jane Caro! She is amazing. Her young adult fiction is so easy to digest its rather like creme brûlée - you know the dessert you can never say no to.

The always fabulous Nicki drew my attention to this series and was nice enough to lend the books to me to read. Caro presents a rather visceral feel of living the life of the first Queen Elizabeth
before she becomes Queen. Who doesn't love a historical drama? Particularly one with such a powerful female lead.

Can't wait to dip into the sequel. Expect another review soon!

5 out of 5 royal intrigues are always bloody interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment