Saturday 7 September 2019

The Summer Book by Tove Jansson


"The sea was as smooth as oil, and so pale you could hardly tell it was blue."

Sitting on a sofa looking out at the ocean from a blissful island in Fiji, accompanied by this beautiful little book, I encountered a few moments of perfect happiness. The slim volume belies perfection.

A young girl's mother has died and she goes to stay with her grandmother on an island in Finland in summer. Her grandmother is a character that is a delight and reminded me of how much I miss and loved my Nonna. 

How to describe this book? Yes, its from the creator of the Moomintrolls which I loved as a kid and yet, this is a book created for adults. Nevertheless, it perfectly captures the inquisitiveness of youth and the beauty of summer.

Reading it is like diving under a wave at the beach or feeling the last rays of warmth tease your skin on a balmy afternoon. Clearly it was the perfect beach read and I'm glad I packed it. If I had children, this is what I would read to them, so they too would feel the implied hug that it gives.

 5 out of 5 grannies rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment