Thursday 24 January 2019

The Au Pair by Emma Rous



“I wonder about Laura —where she lives, what she’s doing right now.”


Are you in the mood for a compelling thriller? Well I might have found the perfect summer read. I really enjoyed this, it had a particularly cinematic feel and would make a great movie.


Seraphine and her twin, Danny, are about to discover their family life is not as simple as it seems. The tragedies of their mother's suicide, in their youth and their recent bereavement, due to their father's passing bring to light a mystery that will have you turning pages at a cracking speed.
It has been a while since I've been so engrossed in a tale of buried family secrets and I'm reticent to give too much away here for fear of spoiling the story for you.


The writing was fantastically paced and I really bought into the main characters. MIx in an air of the supernatural, folktales about stolen babies, some particularly odd characters and you have an intriguing read.


I've noticed that the reviews online for this one vary from rave to hatred and I'm definitely on the rave side. I think that was supported by how quickly I read it. Perhaps if it was read in a piecemeal, slow fashion it wouldn't hold the same appeal. No complaints from this speed reader though.


5 out of 5 twins aren't always on the same page.








No comments:

Post a Comment